Written byJulia Cohen
Posted 2 months ago
Your Instagram username is important. It’s often one of the first things people learn about your personal or professional brand, and it can often define people’s first impressions of your account. Coming up with something catchy is essential, but you also want it to be interesting, relevant, unique, discoverable … the list of requirements goes on and on. Don’t worry, Flick is here to help!
We’ve put together this little guide to help make the process of finding the perfect Instagram username a little easier. We’ll be covering some tips and tricks that will help you meet all the requirements for a great username while still reflecting your brand’s unique identity. So, without further ado … let’s get started!
Jump to a section ✨
Why Is Your Instagram Username Important?
The answer to this question is pretty simple: your Instagram username is important because Instagram itself is important. In fact, Instagram is arguably the most important social media platform for businesses and brands. Let us justify that statement.
Instagram logs 1 billion active monthly users and 90% of those users follow at least one business or brand. That means at least 900 million Instagram users are interacting with brands and businesses every month … and we haven’t even got to Instagram ads yet!
The username linked to your Instagram account is how these Instagram users will identify your posts in their timelines, search for your account, share your content with friends. In addition, it will be the first impression many people get of your account and will be inextricably associated with your business or brand as a whole.
What Makes An Instagram UsernameGood?
There are a few requirements for your username:
- Relevant: Your username should be something that is easy to associate with your brand. In other words, it should be on-topic.
- Unique: Your username needs to be unique because… well, Instagram requires you to choose a unique username. However, this is also important because unique usernames are easier to remember.
Harmonious: Your username should fit in with your brand’s image, persona, copy, content… whatever it is you produce. If your brand is known for being serious, it’s probably best if you skip the funny username.
Instagram Username Ideas 💡
First things first – what is your profile for? Is it to interact with friends, or is it a small business you are trying to set up? The purpose of your Instagram will likely determine what kind of username you should go for and the ideas you should use. If, for example, you plan on using Instagram to just interact with your friends and family, its likely you will want to go for a username featuring your name. If you’re a small business, you’ll want your brand in there somewhere.
Instagram username ideas for personal profiles 🙌
If you’re setting up a personal profile on Instagram, the best place to start is with your name. That means, if people are actually trying to find you, they will be able to, easily. However, sometimes its not as easy as just typing in @samking and calling it a day. If you’re new to Instagram, it’s pretty likely that your full name could already be taken. Here are a few workarounds:
- Instead of using your full name, input any middle initials you might have like @samjaking
- Make use of special characters like @sam_king
- Go old-school email vibes, and attach a number at the end of your handle, like @samking96
- Use any nicknames you might have instead like @sammyking
- Have a little fun by swapping letters around like @kamsing
- Think of things that might rhyme with your name like @samkingsings
- Do you have a favorite flower, pet, or color? Incorporate this into your username like @orangesam
- Speak another language? Pick a word you like in a different language that means something significant, or you feel represents who you are, and use this as part of your handle
Remember, you will always have the chance to input your full name on your profile, so even if you use a nickname or abbreviation, you will still be searchable by your full name.
Instagram Username Ideas for Brands 🛍
Crafting the perfect username for your business can be tough. The challenge is coming up with a name that is fun, interesting, and compelling while maintaining some level of professionalism.
You want people to be intrigued about your business, but you don’t want them to leave with the impression that you aren’t serious about what you do.
If you’re representing a brand on Instagram, you’ll want to follow a similar formula as you might for a personal profile.
Again, you’ll want to fit your brand name within the username so that people can easily find your account. However, let’s say your brand name (e.g., @plantshop) is already taken. What do you do then? Don’t worry! There are tons of tricks you can use to find a username that’s available and represents your business or brand.
What Makes a Great Brand Instagram Username?
Before we get into the inspiration stage, there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind about choosing a username for your business’s Instagram account:
- It needs to be memorable. Your Instagram username is a company asset-something that has actual value. The primary value of your Instagram username is that it’s an easy way for interested users to search for your business and content on the platform. If your username isn’t memorable, you’re limiting the value of a major asset.
- It needs to be available. Obviously, your Instagram username needs to be available on Instagram. However, it should also be available on any other social media platforms you use. At the very least, there should be consistent elements across all your social media platforms to ease the process of finding your brand or business.
- It needs to be (relatively) simple. This one is extremely important. Your username needs to be something that users can easily search up and spell correctly.
What If My Business Name Is Taken?
This is an extremely common problem that people run into when setting up Instagram accounts. With 1 billion monthly Instagram users, there are a ton of unavailable usernames!
Luckily, there are also tons of workarounds you can use to get a username that’s a) available and b) representative of your brand.
Let’s break down some of the most effective ones:
- Add your location at the end of the brand name. This allows locals to easily recognize your account (e.g., @plantshopedinburgh).
- Add elements that are unique to your brand. If your store is located at 5 Drummond Street, you might make your name @5DrummondPlantShop.
- Add keywords. By adding search terms that connect your business to the industry you operate in, you’ll be increasing your reach on Instagram (e.g., @gardenersinedinburgh).
- Incorporate related terms or concepts. This will help increase the likelihood that your username will be available while making sure it stays relevant to the products or services you provide (e.g., @plantshopgardencenter).
- Add prefixes or suffixes. Adding a prefix or suffix to your business name is a great way to get the username that’s pretty close, even if someone has already claimed your exact name (e.g., @theplantshop or @plantshopofficial).
50 Business Instagram Username Ideas
Creative Instagram Usernames
Creative Instagram usernames stand out thanks to their use of unusual phases, expressions, or words. All in all, the goal of a creative Instagram username is to captivate the people who see it.
50 Creative Usernames For Instagram
Unique Instagram Username
Unique Instagram usernames stand out because there really isn’t anything else like them out there. They immediately conjure up images of the account or brand) they represent, and that helps a ton when it comes to generating engagement.
50 Unique Instagram Username Ideas
Cool Instagram Usernames
Cool Instagram usernames catch people’s attention by highlighting something about your brand that sets you apart from the crowd. Often, cool Instagram usernames combine words or concepts that aren’t typically seen together.
50 Cool Instagram Username Ideas
Cute Instagram Usernames
If your personal or professional brand is all about cuteness, it makes a lot of sense to reflect that in your Instagram username. Not sure how?
50 Cute Instagram Username Ideas
Classy Instagram Username
If your brand is known for exclusivity and class, there are plenty of ways you can reflect this in your username by making references to other classy or exclusive things.
50 Classy Instagram Username Ideas
If you’ve gone through this list and still have no idea what a good Instagram username would be, don’t worry! Instagram username generator tools are viable (albeit unreliable) options that can spit out a ton of ideas in a short amount of time.
All you need to do is enter seed words and wait to see what the AI comes up with! As an added bonus, almost all Instagram username generators are free. However, in this case, the phrase ‘you get what you pay for’ definitely applies.
In any event, here are a few options:
Here are a few things to remember when it comes to brainstorming:
- Think about your niche or your personal brand and see if you can reflect this in your username. For example, if you own a vegan bakery, you might make your username @theveganwarrior.
- Creating a community page that allows your users to interact closely with your brand? Make this clear by following a format like @friendsofgoogle or @googlesupport.
- Think about what you’re posting, and see if there is a way to describe it in a creative username like @eatingaroundtheworld.
- Create intrigue by going for something mysterious that will make people want to click, such as @thesocialdilemma.
- Think about a famous historical figure or legend that shares your name, and nab their tagline, like @alexanderthegreat.
If you follow along with this guide and flex your creative muscles, you’ll have an amazing Instagram username in no time. Once you do, you’re well on your way to carving out a piece of virtual real estate for your brand.
Curious about how you can speed up the growth process? Flick offers users tons of tools to analyze and optimize their Instagram content with the aim of increasing engagement. To learn more about Flick’s tools and services (or about Instagram in general), check out our educational resources! You can also learn all about generating Instagram hashtags for growth here.
More articles related to
The Complete Guide to Instagram Scheduling (Stories, Posts, Reels and more!)
In today’s guide, we’ll walk you through how to schedule Instagram posts, optimize your calendar to successful posting times and analyze your results.
4 months ago
Social Media Video Sizes: The Latest Update in 2023
Video content is all the rage on social right now! Here’s our guide on social media video sizes, tips on leveraging your content, and more.
12 days ago
How to Boost a Post on Instagram: Step-by-Step Guide
Need help boosting an Instagram post? Follow our step-by-step guide to learn how to boost your latest post (with tips and tricks!)
1 year ago