Instagram Engagement Rate: Everything You Need to Know
Learn what the metric means, how to measure it, and what the average engagement rate is on Instagram, as well as Flick’s best practices to boost your engagement on Instagram.
Written byMackenzie Taylor
What Is The “Engagement Rate” Metric on Instagram?
Why Is Engagement Rate On Instagram Important?
- When measured alongside the number of impressions, it provides real data on how much users like your content.
- Engagement is linked to the algorithm, so Instagram will give greater visibility to posts that already have a high engagement rate.
How To Check Engagement Rate On Instagram
How to Calculate Engagement Rate On Instagram
Best Practice for Calculating Engagement Rate
- Average engagements per post: the average amount of engagement you get across all posts in a given time period
- Average reach per post: the average amount of reach you get across posts in a given time period.
- Number of posts: the total amount of feed posts you made in a given time period.
- Reach rate: the average reach of your feed posts, compared to the number of followers you have in a given time period.
What Is The Average Monthly Engagement Rate?
What Is A Good Engagement Rate on Instagram?
|< 1%||very low engagement|
|1 – 6 %||low engagement|
|6 – 12 %||average engagement|
|12 – 20 %||high engagement|
|> 20 %||very high engagement|
Has Engagement Rate on Instagram Changed Over Time?
How Can I Improve My Engagement Rate On Instagram?
- Create quality content: use your engagement rate to inform your content strategy. Take inspiration from your own (and your competitors’) posts that have shown high engagement to make posts you know your audience will love.
- Have a great hashtag strategy: as the best hashtag tool out there, this is Flick’s specialty 😉
- Write conversation-starting captions with compelling CTAs: give users a reason to respond. That could mean asking them questions and posting answers or actioning their feedback to show you value their input. Or, it could involve providing some sort of reward when they click-through or interact: for example, travel influencers could offer a free city guide via the link in their bio.
- Cultivate a great relationship with your audience: maintain proactive and reactive communication with your followers. Respond and reply to their comments. Tag users in your comments before they see the post to encourage their interaction.
- Cross-share your content: increase your reach and therefore the chances of users engaging by sharing posts on your story, IGTV, and Reels to your feed, and so on. You could also leverage your other social media platforms by sharing on TikTok, for example, and encouraging followers to join you on Instagram.
- Post consistently and at the right time: timing is key and the Instagram algorithm seems to reward consistency. Use Flick’s Instagram Analytics to define when your followers are most active online and post then to maximize engagement opportunities.
- Make sure collaborators also have high engagement: if you’re considering working with other influencers or brands, check their average engagement rate to gauge how successful your collaboration will be.
Track Your Engagement Rate With Flick
How to Build a Hashtag Strategy Using Flick
Need help building the perfect hashtag strategy for your Instagram account? By using Flick, you can start building the perfect strategy.
1 year ago
Instagram Hashtags: The Complete Guide
Welcome to the only Instagram Hashtag Guide you’ll ever need – packed full of information, tips, strategy and actionable insights you can actually trust.
5 months ago
10 Apps Like Instagram That Are Fun To Use
Getting tired of Instagram? Fed up with your feed, the algorithm, counting likes, and trying to perfect your grid? We get it. Here are other apps that allow you to share photos and engage with family,...
10 months ago