Written byMackenzie Taylor
What is a fake Instagram account?
Why do people create fake Instagram accounts?
- To troll or harass others. Fake accounts are often used to spread hate speech, make threats, or bully others. This can be a serious problem, especially for young people who are especially vulnerable to cyberbullying.
- To impersonate someone else. Fake accounts can be used to impersonate celebrities, politicians, or other public figures. This can be done to spread misinformation or to damage someone’s reputation.
- To spread misinformation or propaganda. Fake accounts can be used to spread false information or propaganda. This can be done to influence public opinion or to sow discord.
- To promote their own business or product. Some businesses and individuals create fake accounts to promote their products or services. This can be done to get more followers and engagement or to make it seem like there is more demand for their products than there actually is.
- To gain followers and likes. Some people create fake accounts simply to gain followers and likes. This can be done for a variety of reasons, such as to boost their ego or to make it seem like they are more popular than they actually are.
- To avoid being tracked or monitored. Some people create fake accounts to avoid being tracked or monitored by their employer, school, or government. This can be done to protect their privacy or to engage in activities that they would not want others to know about.
- To experiment with different social media strategies. Some businesses and individuals create fake accounts to experiment with different social media strategies. This can be done to test new features, to see what kind of content performs well, or to learn more about their target audience.
How to spot a fake Instagram account
No followers or posts
Follows a lot of accounts
How to report a fake Instagram account
- Go to the fake Instagram account’s profile
- Click the three dots at the top right corner
- Click “Report”
- Select “It’s a fake account” from the list of options provided
- Give details about why you believe it’s a fake account
- Click “Report” to submit your report to Instagram
The latest social media news, memes, gossip and tips.
Talk Social To Me
Your Guide on How to Start a Candle Business
Looking to start fresh in a new candle venture? You’ve come to the right spot. Here’s everything you need on how to start a candle business.
1 month ago
Social Media Marketing Tips: Small Business Guide 2024
The world of social media can be daunting for small business owners. If you’re just getting started, here are our top tips for businesses when it comes to social media management.
1 month ago
How to Start (And Be Successful At!) Your Own Digital Marketing Business
This Small Business Saturday, we spoke with Crystal from Small Business Mentor on how to start a digital marketing business, the mistakes she’s learned along the way, and the tools she uses to make he...
27 days ago