How To Make Top-Shelf IGTV Content
In this new guide, we show you how to make IGTV content that your audience will love, complete with secret tips and tricks for top performance.
Written byJulia Cohen
How To Make Top-Shelf IGTV Content
- You can create an IGTV post in either landscape or portrait, but the traditionally ‘optimal’ dimensions for your videos is 1080 x 1920 pixels and an aspect ratio of 9:16 (just like Instagram Stories).
- You should create an IGTV cover that will show as a preview when people are exploring their feeds. This should be similar to a YouTube thumbnail, in that it has a clear image and text explaining what your video is going to show. Pro tip: if you add alt text to your image file, or name the file to explain what is happening in the video, e.g. ‘fashion look-book’, this will help your discoverability.
- You have the option to post a preview of your video in your feed. This is totally up to you, but can help you gain more traction when you first post, as your direct audience will be able to see it easily in their feeds.
- Categorise your content in different series. IGTV gives you the option to put your videos in a series, so that users can continue to watch your videos if they find something they like.
- Your video has to be between 1-15 minutes long.
Try to anticipate what your users want to see
How to create and edit an IGTV video
How to upload an IGTV video
- Go to your explore page on Instagram and click the button that says ‘IGTV’ in the top lefthand corner.
- Click the ‘+’ button in the top righthand corner to start your upload.
- Select the video you want to upload, and add your cover photo from camera roll.
- Add an attention grabbing title that explains the content of your video well – this will make it easier for users to discover you.
- Use keywords in your description, and provide a detailed outlay of what is in the video.
- Hashtags do work on IGTV! Add up to 30 hashtags in your description that match your content, following and usual performance.
- Add the video to a series.
- Edit your profile cover photo if needed (this is what shows on your feed if you decide to publish it to your main Instagram profile).
How to measure your IGTV Performance
- Head to your IGTV video, and click the three dots at the bottom of your screen. You should be given the option to ‘View Insights’.
- Besides views, comments and likes, Instagram also displays your audience retention rate. This tells you how long users are (on average) watching your video for. You receive one ‘view’ every time someone watches your video for more than three seconds, but the audience retention metric lets you know whether your content is keeping people watching, or if they are clicking off.
- Look at your Average percentage watched, and the graph below, which visualises where most users click off of your video, or stay on.
Trending Reels Songs: How to Find Popular Sounds
Ever wondered how to find trending audio on Instagram? Don’t worry. We’ve got you. Here are the best ways to find the top trending audio for your next Reel.
27 days ago
Instagram Reels Hashtags: Everything You Need to Know
We walk you through how to find and utilize the best hashtags for your Instagram Reels to get you higher engagement and better reach on your video content.
7 months ago
Instagram Announces Grid Pinning and Updates to Reels
Instagram releases new updates to Instagram Reels and announces grid pinning for all of your favorite grid content.
9 months ago